1) Complete the web quest handout (all sections).
2) Focus on completing your research based on the immigrant group that you randomly selected (or choose now, if you were absent on Tuesday) -- Mexican, Honduran, Chinese, Vietnamese, Afghan, Iraqi, Sudanese, or Nigerian.
3) Once your research is complete, create a one-pager/small poster (a piece of white paper is fine) with the following elements:
- Name of your immigrant group
- 3 main reasons that members of that group chose to leave their country and come to the United States or elsewhere (hint: focus on wars, famines, natural disasters, etc.)
- 3 major challenges that members of that group faced as a result of their emigration - AT LEAST ONE OF THESE SHOULD BE RELATED TO STEREOTYPES/SINGLE STORIES THAT PEOPLE FROM THIS GROUP FACE!
- 2 photos that reflect your understanding of the experiences this group faced
4) Give a brief presentation of what you learned to the class - just enough to give us some information about the immigrant group and specifically their challenges/stereotypes.
Friday, February 7
Things You Might Want to Know:
- This is extra credit. You must take advantage of the opportunities I spread out throughout the semester --- there wont' be any more for you at the end!
- I know a lot of you will want this to replace summer reading. I cannot REPLACE that grade, but this WILL HELP YOU!!
- Please work alone. If you want to do your research with a partner, that's fine with me - BUT I can only grade you if you turn in an individual handout, poster, and do your own presentation.
Here's the handout, if you need it: