Please take this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/04yLhPyHsXkbMJ8Y2
Today you will work through the following steps in order to understand the experience of an early immigrant. You need to keep up with each step on your handout and turn it in at the end of class.
1) Take an interactive tour of Ellis Island - click here. Fill out your graphic organizer as directed.
2) Google "photos of early immigration." Choose two different photos and complete an OPTIC for each one. Be sure to focus on what that helps you learn about the early immigration experience.
3) Google "Shaun Tan." Use two different websites to gather information about him. Fill out your graphic organizer as directed.
4) Watch the following video and write a short summary of what Shaun Tan is saying. Click here for the video.
5) Draw a comic strip with 10 panels to show the experiences of an immigrant coming to the United States. Be sure to include details that represent what you have learned this week.
Today we will start by brainstorming everything you have learned so far this semester. Hopefully this, along with the study guide, will help you prepare for Wednesday's midterm exam!
Then we will watch the movie "Smoke Signals" to wrap up Unit 2/ Native American literature.
Square 1: 5 things you learn about Native American culture from the movie
Square 2: 5 things from the movie that relate to The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (explain how)
Square 3: 5 ways that Victor and Thomas relate to Junior and Rowdy (explain how)
Square 4: 5 quiz or test questions you could use to assess someone on their understanding of all of Unit 2, including the book and this movie
Today you will finish reading the novel! Then you will pick one character, complete a character analysis, and start working on a body biography. Examples are below.
Warm-Up: Draw a picture that represents an important moment from the book so far. Explain it.